Deputy injured in shootout is out of the hospital

11:21 AM, Jul 2, 2013   |    comments
  • Sgt. Mike Ledbetter Courtesy: Knox County Sheriff's Office
  • This is a past arrest photo of Jordan Camp, 21. Courtesy: Knox County Sheriff's Office
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

The Knox County deputy who was injured in a shootout last month is out of the hospital.

According to Knox County Sheriff J.J. Jones, Sergeant Mike Ledbetter has been released from U.T. Medical Center and is resting comfortably at home. He is undergoing physical therapy and at this time, no more surgeries are planned.

KCSO says Sergeant Ledbetter and his wife very much appreciate the continuing support and prayers as Mike recuperates.

Previous story, July 2, 2013

The Knox County Sheriff's Office provided an another update on Friday on the condition of a deputy who was injured in a shootout earlier this month.

A post on the KCSO website says that Sergeant Mike Ledbetter underwent surgery Friday morning on his leg and is doing well.

He continues to recover in a private room at U.T. Medical Center.

There's no word yet on when he may be released. 

Previous story, June 25, 2013

(WBIR-Knox Co.) Knox County Sheriff J.J. Jones confirmed on the KCSO website that a deputy shot during a shootout on the job last Thursday was moved out of intensive care into a private room Tuesday.

On Monday, Sgt. Mike Ledbetter, 41, underwent a medical procedure, and he's expected to undergo another procedure on Thursday. He's listed in stable condition at University of Tennessee Medical Center.

Sgt. Ledbetter was shot in his lower left leg, which severely damaged a major artery, while he and other deputies were trying to arrest Jordan Camp, 21, Thursday afternoon. Camp was wanted on three outstanding warrants of aggravated assault, leaving the scene of an accident, and violation of probation.

The sheriff's office said a deputy spotted Camp at the entrance of a mobile home part on Canton Hollow Road. Camp ran into a wooded area before barricading himself inside a bedroom of a home. Deputies said Camp told negotiators he had guns and was going to kill himself. Later, he threatened to shoot officers. At about 4 p.m., deputies said Camp pointed a gun out of the bedroom door and fired at officers.

Camp died in the during the shootout, but officials said it's unknown whether Camp shot himself or was shot and killed by a deputy.

According to preliminary evidence, Sgt. Ledbetter may have been struck by a ricocheting bullet. He has worked with the Knox County Sheriff's Office since January 1995. He was promoted to sergeant in January 2008 and is currently serves on patrol and the SWAT Team. The Ledbetter family said they're thankful for the community's prayers and support.

Most Watched Videos