Courtesy: Ben Garrett, Independent Herald
The owner of Brewster Builders says he lost 40 years and hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment in a fire Friday morning.
David Brewster said the fire originally started when employees were burning debris in a stove in their warehouse. They believed it was contained, until an employee saw smoke coming from the building.
Brewster and his employees were next door in the office, just feet from the warehouse. Then a propane tank inside the warehouse caused an explosion.
"We had just come from that building. Ten minutes before probably," Brewster said. "It was a big boom and up in the air it went."
Debris was scattered hundreds of feet away.
Brewster says he has insurance on one of the machines lost in the fire that was worth about $90,000, but none on the building itself.
Brewster Builders has been in business in Oneida since 1972.
Three fire departments battled a three-alarm blaze at a warehouse on Industrial Lane in Scott County.
The building belongs to Brewster Builders, a construction firm in Oneida. It housed a garage and equipment.
Oneida firefighters were dispatched to the fire just after 9:30 am Friday. They were joined by Midcounty and Winfield firefighters.
Family members say no one was hurt in the fire.
Witnesses say there was an explosion and thick, black smoke filled the sky.
Industrial Lane is currently closed while firefighters continue to fight the fire, which is now under control.