(WBIR - Madisonville) A trailer full of hay bales caught on fire Monday evening, forcing crews to temporarily block off part of Highway 411.
It happened in Madisonville around 6 p.m. Fire Chief John Tallent said there were 15-18 round bales on the trailer.
Chief Tallent wasn't sure how the hay caught fire. He says it was likely the results of heat and friction on the road, or even a flicked cigarette.
Crews had to take apart and hose down each bale of hay.
"The round bail naturally sheds water, so we can't get water to the fire unless we tear the bail apart," explained Tallent.
He explained, hay fires aren't unusual this time of year.
"This is a very agricultural area. It has a lot of hay, and we do a lot of hay production in this area. So tranporting it up and down the road like that is not an uncommon thing."
Nobody was injured.